The EuroOffice Extension Creator example "Barcode" has grown a full-fledged OpenOffice.org extension supporting a wide variety of barcode standards. It is free and open-source and available for download.
EuroOffice Barcode is a simple extension for creating UPC-A, EAN-13, ISBN and JAN barcodes in OpenOffice.org Draw.
It started out as an EuroOffice Extension Creator example and evolved into a practically useful tool. It currently supports the following barcode types:
- UPC-A (the most common barcode in the US)
- EAN-13 (the most common barcode in Europe)
- JAN (the barcode used in Japan, basically EAN-13 with the country code for Japan)
- ISBN-13 (the barcode used in books after 2007, basically EAN-13 with a superscript)
- ISBN-10 (the barcode used in books before 2007, basically EAN-13 with a different superscript)
For all of these codes checksum calculation
is also supported, and ISBN numbers are correctly hyphenated.
It is also a sign of third-party interest in EOEC - the extensive feature set is a result of collaboration with Kálmán Szalai, an OxygenOffice developer.
Adding new features to this already useful extension can also be a good starting point for trying out EuroOffice Extension Creator.